The two words we probably hear most often in the form of quotes and statements on Twitter, Pinterest & other forms of Social Media is ‘Be You’, ‘Just Be Yourself’. What does “Be You’ mean?
Is it an excuse to use your personality as an excuse for bad behavior? I hear people saying hey ‘Just deal with it, this is who I am’. ‘I don’t believe in saying sorry or Thank you’. ‘I just can’t be bothered to change’. There are yet others who insult others under the garb of humor and sarcasm.
‘ Being you’ I think, is a perfect defense for an egoistic person who has no respect for others and believes they are infallible ?
Of course each of us have our personality traits and inborn temperament which is unique to us and some of this is adapted to suit the environment that we live in and the circumstances that we face. However, the way we perceive and react to our day-to-day journey in life is a choice we can make and one that is within our control.
It is up to each of us to recognize our emotions, regulate our thoughts and frame the right mindset to respond in a manner that is appropriate to the situation at hand.
So what does Being You mean ?
1. Whilst there is nothing wrong in being direct and honest, by no means the delivery of the statements or the tone in which it is delivered need be rude.
2. We are a result of our choices and we need to deal with the choices we have made. Negativity and emotional trauma arises when we get into the blaming game for all our misfortunes.
3. That sometimes when we are angry we have the right to be angry, but that doesn’t give us the right to be cruel.
4. That each of us need to value ourselves and should not allow ourselves to be trampled on.
5. Each of us have our own strengths and we should build and use them to lead with integrity, trust and character
6. Each of us have our own weaknesses and we should marginalize our limitations to move forward
7. That maturity has more to do with what types of experiences we have had and what we have learned from them and how each of us choose to use them.
8. That our background and circumstances may have influenced who we are, but, we are responsible for who we become.
9. That either we control our attitude or it controls us. Choose the right one.
10. That we are responsible for what we do, no matter how we feel.
11. We are human and love to be acknowledged, encouraged and appreciated. Being an introvert or shy is no excuse for not telling someone ‘You Matter’.
12. Each of us have to value and believe in ourselves.
13. None of us are perfect and can teach and learn something each day.
14. That just because you think you are successful you have no right to put out someone else’s light and efforts.
15. You are you and will be valued only if you treat others just like the way you would like to be treated.
Bottom-line, our personality is not an excuse to criticize, condemn and poke fun at somebody. Live and let live and encourage others to do the best. Each of us are unique and life is about learning from each other and making a difference in this world which we live in. Are you ‘Being You’ or ‘Being Brash’ ?