“The simple act of paying positive attention to people has a great deal to do with productivity” Tom Peters
Have you met Jerry ?
1. I’m always right. I don’t care what it takes or how much work it is. This is the way I see it and no matter what, make it happen in the next hour.Have you met Jerry?
2. Your behavior at or outside work or in Social media is one of “A Narcissist”.
3. You think you know it all and never have an open mind to learn.
4. You’ve decided with senior management that your team targets are going to increase by 30% and promised to over deliver. You have not bothered to consult your team?
5. You think you never make mistakes and don’t ever bother asking others how are you?
6. You are good at striking conversations with strangers but every relationship is one to hook, use and trash.
7. You are convinced that you are the most intellectual and anyone who challenges your line of thinking is made to shut up. You alienate whoever questions you.
8. You think you are reminding people of their accountability and responsibility when all you do is to humiliate them with your sarcasm.
9. You are part of the system and you have never made any effort to be different or change and yet you criticize all, day in day out.
10. You think you are unique and God’s gift to the Universe, though all you are is a jerk. You think none of the above applies to you.
How many of you have had this individual either at your work place or among your acquaintances?
How many times do people in influential positions misuse the same by bullying and belittling either their team and their social circle ?
How many people just because of the position they are in think they can demand respect ?
Whilst there is nothing wrong in being direct and honest, by no means the delivery of the statements or the tone in which it is delivered needs to be rude or sarcastic. People skills is one about being able to connect, engage and treat others with respect and empathy.
What are the keys to People Skills?
1. Be a friend before expecting others to be friendly
2. That either we control our attitude or it controls us. Choose the right one
3. We are a result of our choices and we need to deal with the choices we have made. Negativity and emotional trauma arises when we get into the blaming game for all our misfortunes
4. We do get angry, recognize it, overcome it and do not use anger to be cruel
5. We need to value ourselves and should not allow ourselves to be trampled on. But valuing yourself doesn’t mean insulting others
6. Each of us have our own strengths and we should build and use them to lead with integrity, trust and character
7. Each of us have our own weaknesses and we should marginalize our limitations to move forward
8. That we are responsible for what we do, no matter how we feel
9. We are human and love to be acknowledged, encouraged and appreciated. Being an introvert or shy is no excuse for not telling someone ‘You Matter’
10. None of us are perfect and can teach and learn something each day
Each of us have our purpose. Just because you are the boss, you have no right to stomp on others feelings and values. As far as people like Jerry are concerned one can attempt to unlock the barriers of communication that may exist or be a friend to listen.
Titles don’t determine your value. In the end, you need to remember just because you think you are successful, you have no right to put out someone else’s light and efforts.
Life is a journey of roller coasters and challenges you to be the best YOU can be. Each challenge, be it big or small, is an opportunity for you to make the choice to shift your perspective and view it through the eyes of positivity and hope.