Communication can make or mar relationships at any level. Clarity is key to communication. Communication is not only verbal but also includes body language. Clarity in communication substantiates supports, authenticates and endorses the conversation.
Rely on the meaning, not just the words. You have to always think Why are you saying what you are saying and How do you want your receiver to feel after you have said what you have to say.
What is Important in Communication?
1. Clarity – less is often more and keep it simple and short. This is one of the main reasons for the importance of elevator speech.
2. Commonsense – a word once spoken cannot be recalled. Know Yourself no matter what situation you may be in. You need to apply good judgement and keep a degree of level-headed in every aspect of life.
3. Consistency – trust is built only with consistency. Being reliable is key to building credibility in communication as in life. Lack of communication is another way of saying lack of trust.
4. Confidence – credence, conviction, belief and trust are key pillars of communication. The way you communicate will reflect your level of confidence.
5. Character – all forms of communication demonstrates your character, personality, mental make-up, level of integrity and the values that you hold.
6. Commitment – your word is your bond and your personal image. Commitment includes not only a deal, a promise, a contract, but also day-to-day spoken words.
7. Creativity – a picture speaks volumes. Telling a story or giving an example or showing a visual often reinforces what you are trying to convey. Use your creativity in articulating your message.
8. Courage – Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak but it is also what it takes to sit down and listen – Winston Churchill. Courage is a mark of leadership and communication offers a multitude of channels to exhibit your gallantry in spoken and written form.
9. Consideration – You need to listen to understand rather than listen to respond. Nobody knows how much you know until they know how much you care.
10. Competence – You are how you express yourself. Competence needs effective communication.
Communication is an essential ingredient in our daily life. Silence is not the answer to avoid challenges. Communication gap is created by our apprehensions, fear, ego, assumptions, inability to address the issue and ask proper questions. Are you underestimating the importance of communication?
‘Do You Communicate’, please refer my earlier blog post on this topic